Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Welcome Trio

My husband and I walked across the street from our apartment this morning to listen to three guys playing music on the Pâquis. Musicians have been playing there each morning between 6 and 7 am since last weekend. It is an annual event that began a few years ago and lasts for the two weeks leading up the the big week long festival here in Geneva. One guy played a guitar, another a violin (and occasionally one of a couple of stringed instruments that I don't recognize.) The third guy played the harmonica and several other things...triangle, tambourine, cymbal, etc. The boardwalk in front of our apartment, and around the part of the lake that Geneva is located, will soon look like the Texas State Fair. There are Ferris wheels and other rides being set up, and lots of tents and booths for food and gift vendors. When I look outside my window, I feel like I could be a Carney! Still, if you walk out onto the Pâquis, it is free of these temporary structures.

It is hard to describe how music, especially live music, completely soaks into each and every cell in my body. I used to assume that it was the same for everyone, but have since realized that is not true. My husband couldn't care less about music, unless it's Barry White. I don't remember a time in my life when there was not music in our house. Music can move me in or out of a feeling or mood, it can be my best friend, it can allow me to feel and express thoughts and feelings that otherwise struggle for expression. It has been a soundtrack for each and every event in my life. I simply can't imagine my life without it. The acoustic set this morning was no exception. It was peaceful...and exciting at the same time. It made me happy.

The setting was absolutely amazing! The Pâquis is a jetty that protrudes out onto the middle of the lake. As I walked out onto the jetty, the rocks were covered in hundreds, maybe even thousands of delicate cobwebs frosted with the early morning dew. It was as if someone had woven a lace covering to soften the sharp edges of the rocks. The baby ducks and swans that were hatched in early spring are over half the size of their parents, but still act like silly adolescents. They would chase each other, or race across the water all at once, and have to be rounded up and scolded. The gulls occasionally squawked while the little chickadees scurried around and made sure no one left crumbs from the coffee cake a woman was selling. The clouds rolled in yesterday, and and are still heavily covering the sky. So instead of a sunrise, there was a gradual lightening of the sky. Still, the light danced across the tiny ripples covering the lake. The closer, green-covered mountains are visible through the early morning haze and clouds, while the more distant, snow-capped mountains are more illusive today. I would say it was about 70 degrees this morning. It felt a little cooler because of the breeze across the lake and the dampness of the morning. But with a tall cup of coffee and a jacket, it was perfect!

Scott sat through most of the set, but then decided to leave for work. I stayed a little longer, enjoying the sounds, sights, smells, taste and feel of the morning. As I walked back across the street to my apartment, I was filled with wonder, peace and joy. It was a welcome trio.

1 comment:

  1. This morning sounds like what I would call SOUL FOOD. What a glorious banquet of sights and sounds to nourish your senses and spirit and soul. Ahhh, wish I were there to "dine" with you.

    ReplyDelete